The addition to the Boothbay Harbor Memorial Library is project realized after years of planning. The library is a centerpiece to the town. The 4,500 square foot addition to a historic structure was one that had to weave into the fabric of the neighborhood while projecting a feeling of modernity.
The original building, a lovely Greek Revival temple-style structure, was built as a private home in the 1840’s by William Maxwell Reed. The town of Boothbay Harbor bought the property in 1923 and converted it to a public library.
Since then, the space has been renovated four times. This latest renovation almost doubled the square footage and made it ADA accessible. The spaces of the building offer places for community of all age groups to come together, to read and research their curiosities.